Friday, July 30, 2010

Saina to get Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna

Saina to get Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award

Ace shuttler Saina Nehwal continued to shine as she was on Friday selected for the prestigious Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award for her oustanding achievements on the badminton court.

The Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award is the highest award given for achievements in sports in India.

National sports awards (Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna, Arjuna and Dhyan Chand) selection committee headed by PT Usha met on Friday and decided to bestow the Khel Ratna on Saina after considering her brilliant performance in the last one year, PTI reported.

"I am really happy. It's unbelievable, a dream come true for me to get another within one year. National awards gives you a lot of motivation and it definitely has inspired me to achieve bigger glories for my country," Saina said.

"I have done well in the last two years and the three titles that I won recently have really boosted my confidence. I am now preparing for the World Championship and I hope to win the title," she added.

The World number two Indian has been in red-hot form in the last one year, where she reached the semifinals of the All England Super Series in March before winning three successive titles in June.

The award, to be given away on August 29 by President Pratibha Patil, consists of a cash amount of Rs7.5 lakh, a scroll of honour and medal.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search Your Questions Results Trends Video Pictures Jobs